IT Higher Apprenticeship (Software Development)
IT Higher Apprenticeship (Software Development)Why choose us
The effects of climate change impact our lives every day – from the air we breathe, to the food we eat and the world we live in. At National Grid, we run and operate the UK’s energy system, delivering power to every corner of the country. This means we play a central role in helping to solve the challenges facing our climate. It’s why we’re acting today to help build a cleaner, greener Britain.
We’re investing in transformative engineering and cutting-edge technology to help the country hit its net zero carbon target by 2050. But to achieve this goal we need the right people. We need people with passion and potential to help us win the race to halt climate change. For us, it is the job that can’t wait.About the role
Are you interested in a Higher Apprenticeship where you would learn computer programming languages and work in a team who really make a difference?
Our IT team provide the systems that help our business manage gas and electricity flows across England and Wales, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year. You would learn how to develop and support these critical systems. We are looking for recruits who are well organised, can think analytically, explain technical issues to non-technical colleagues in a simple way, make decisions under pressure and see problems through to resolution.What you'll do
- Incident management - resolve system faults and ensure service restoration to agreed SLA timeframes. To minimise reactive incident response, proactive event monitoring/health checks may be required.
- Problem management - remove the underlying causes of service incidents, both technical and process based.
- Change management - ensure that the effects of application modifications / fixes / workarounds are assessed, and that these are implemented with low risk / impact upon the business. This also includes changes to data that the business cannot implement themselves.
- Release management - ensure that new technology releases are defined, built, tested,and implemented to meet business needs
- Defect management - undertake detailed analysis at a code level to identify root causes of defects, implement code fixes and unit tests as required.
We will support you with training and on the job experience to gain an accredited L4 qualification. You will learn how to develop & support software using various current programming languages: FORTRAN, C ,ProC, PL/SQL on servers, and PowerBuilder and Visual C++ for GUIs on Microsoft Windows Desktop. You will be trained on newer languages as the systems are refreshed and evolve. You will also get the chance to experience the software development lifecycle using both waterfall and agile project methods.What you'll get
You will receive a starting salary of £24,017 and you will work towards a level 4 qualification or a foundation degree depending on the programme. You will also have access to a number of additional benefits such as 25 days’ holiday, full board accommodation whilst away at our training academy and all travel expenses paid for when you’re not at your base location.Our values
National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. We are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities we serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.Role location
The closing date for this vacancy is Sunday 16th February, however we encourage candidates to submit their application as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid's recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.Role requirements
You must have, or be predicted to gain, a Grade C or above/4-9GCSE in English Language and/or Maths.
In addition to the GCSE requirements, you must also have one of the following sets of qualifications:
- 2 A-Levels / A2: Grades A* - C (1 must be in either Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Computing)
- BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in IT, Computing, IT Systems and Development, IT (Software Development), IT ( Business), ICT Systems and Principles, Computing (Software Engineering Stream) Grade Merit or Distinction OR
- BTEC Diploma Level 3 in IT, Computing, IT Systems and Development, IT (Software Development), IT (Business), ICT Systems and Principles, Computing (Software Engineering Stream) Grade Merit or Distinction OR
- HNC / HND in IT, Computing, IT Systems and Development, IT (Software Development), IT (Business), ICT Systems and PrinciplesComputing (Software Engineering Stream) (Grade Pass, Merit or Distinction)
- Degree in Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Computing
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.