Cyber Security Higher Apprentice, IT
Cyber Security Higher Apprentice, ITWhy choose us
The effects of climate change impact our lives every day – from the air we breathe, to the food we eat and the world we live in. At National Grid, we run and operate the UK’s energy system, delivering power to every corner of the country. This means we play a central role in helping to solve the challenges facing our climate. It’s why we’re acting today to help build a cleaner, greener Britain.
We’re investing in transformative engineering and cutting-edge technology to help the country hit its net zero carbon target by 2050. But to achieve this goal we need the right people. We need people with passion and potential to help us win the race to halt climate change. For us, it is the job that can’t wait.About the role
Do you have an interest in solving technology problems, preventing cyber disasters and ultimately outwitting cyber-criminals? This programme will give you the skills, qualifications and technical know-how that is needed to stop cyber-crime, decrypt data and untangle malware.
You could make your mark in:
- Cyber Security Services – protect against and detect security events
- Operations – identify and resolve issues, develop recovery plans
- Business Partnering – make projects secure and the business successful
- Technology Risk – manage risks and control assurance
- Threat – prevent attacks through effective use of intelligence
- Performance – define strategy and report security performance
The programme will allow you to develop your real-world skills in cyber security with the combination of classroom training and on-the-job experience.What's in it for you
You will be working in a varied environment where no two days are the same, at the heart of a team protecting National Grid assets from cyber-crime. Our Security team continue to evolve to provide services that keep our people and assets safe, as the Security threats facing National Grid continually change and increase in sophistication and persistence. Digital investigation supports our Legal & Business Conduct teams and the more serious of Cyber security incidents. This role will provide real-time experience of cyber security management at different levels within the organisation and provide an ideal introduction to a career in Cyber Security.What you'll do
Our Security team protect our people, our premises and digital systems to maintain trust in National Grid’s services. You will be expected to deliver successful outcomes from a selection of the above work areas and experience how we manage the cyber risk.
For instance, you could:
- Analyse and assess potential security risks
- Develop plans to deal with security incidents by putting measures in place
- Prepare technical reports to support our strategy
- Carry out tests on a system to expose weaknesses in security
- Keep detailed records of investigations
- Report on your findings to inform decisions about whether upgrades or remediation are required
You will receive a starting salary of£24,017and you will work towards a level4qualificationor a foundation degree depending on the programme.You will also have access to a number of additional benefits such as 25 days’ holiday, full board accommodation whilst away at our training academy and all travel expenses paid for when you’re not at your base location.Our values
National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in an inclusive culture. We are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities we serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.Role location
Warwick / Solihull
You must be willing to relocate your primary location to within a 45 minute journey time to the location of the roleRole requirements
You must have, or be predicted to gain, a Grade C or above/4-9 GCSE in English Language and/or Maths.
In addition to the GCSE requirements, you must also have one of the following sets of qualifications:
- 2 A-Levels - 1 must be in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Computing (Grade C or above)
- BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in IT, Computing, IT Systems & Development, IT (Software Development), IT (Business), ICT Systems & Principles or Computing (Software Engineering Stream) (Merit or Distinction)
- BTEC Diploma Level 3 in IT, Computing, IT Systems & Development, IT (Software Development), IT (Business), ICT Systems & Principles or Computing (Software Engineering Stream) (Merit or Distinction)
- HNC/HND in IT, Computing, IT Systems & Development, IT (Software Development), IT (Business), ICT Systems & Principles or Computing (Software Engineering Stream) (Pass, Merit or Distinction)
- Degree in Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Computing
The closing date for this vacancy is Sunday 16th February, however we encourage candidates to submit their application as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid's recruitment periods canand may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.Further Information
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.