Project Planner Higher Apprenticeship, Electricity Transmission
Project Planner Higher Apprenticeship, Electricity TransmissionWhy choose us
The effects of climate change impact our lives every day – from the air we breathe, to the food we eat and the world we live in. At National Grid, we run and operate the UK’s energy system, delivering power to every corner of the country. This means we play a central role in helping to solve the challenges facing our climate. It’s why we’re acting today to help build a cleaner, greener Britain.
We’re investing in transformative engineering and cutting-edge technology to help the country hit its net zero carbon target by 2050. But to achieve this goal we need the right people. We need people with passion and potential to help us win the race to halt climate change. For us, it is the job that can’t wait.About the role
The Portfolio Planner role is a mixture of formal training and managed office based experience where you will be able to put into practice the new skills you are developing and acquiring throughout the programme. This role is a dynamic and varied role, requiring advanced organisation skills, stakeholder management skills and a keen drive to take ownership and make intelligent decisions to support National Grid’s outputs.
At the start of the programme you will learn how Network Management operates and you will receive a detailed insight into the processes, procedures, systems and working practices which ensures Network Management successfully delivers National Grid’s outputs.
You will be assigned to a Portfolio Planning zone giving you the opportunity to develop the necessary skills required to become a Portfolio Planner. Through this placement you will gain the knowledge in order to undertake robust decision making, ensuring successful delivery of the portfolio of works.What's in it for you
Whilst undertaking the role, the successful candidate will be required to represent Network Management at all levels within the organisation – leading and driving decisions.
This is a particularly varied high profile role where no two days are the same.
It is an exciting fast paced environment to work within, where the decisions made by individuals and teams have a real impact on business outcomes delivering value for the business and our customers.What you'll do
You will perform a fundamental role that is responsible for the successful planning and delivery of a portfolio of work; from managing resources and Electricity System Outages through to delivering national change initiatives that have the potential to impact the successful delivery of work.
You will also build relationships with a range of stakeholders who are based in the office and out on site.
Once qualified you will be able to:
- Ensure timely safety risk assessments are initiated where maintenance has been deferred and assess and manage any constraints to determine any mitigating actions which are required to meet area targets and ensure plan deliverability
- Plan and manage the work allocation for resources that are planned on a national level ensuring the plans are fully optimised
- Be accountable for both resource and outage planning ownership – authority of work to be included or removed from the plan
- Monitor progress against business outcome targets, owning and ensuring all decisions satisfy outcomes and are made visible to all areas of the business
- Evaluate costs, risks and performance.
You will receive a starting salary of £24,017 and you will work towards a level 4 qualification or a foundation degree depending on the programme. You will also have access to a number of additional benefits such as 25 days’ holiday, full board accommodation whilst away at our training academy and all travel expenses paid for when you’re not at your base location.Our values
National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in an inclusive culture. We are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities we serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.Role location
You must be willing to relocate your primary residence to within a 45-minute journey time to the location of the role.Role requirements
You must have, or be predicted to gain, a Grade C or above/4-9 GCSE in English Language.
In addition to the GCSE requirements, you must also have one of the following sets of qualifications:
- 2 A-Levels - 1 must be in either Maths or Physics (Grade C or above)
- BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering or Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction)
- BTEC National Diploma Level 3 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering or Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction)
- ONC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction)
- HNC/HND in Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering (Pass, Merit or Distinction)
- Degree in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering
To apply for this role, you must hold a valid full UK car driving licence, or be willing to learn to drive and agree to secure a valid full UK car driving licence at least 3 months before the programmes start date.Closing date
The closing date for this vacancy is Sunday 16th February, however we encourage candidates to submit their application as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid's recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.More Information
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.