Construction Project Controls Higher Apprenticeship
Construction Project Controls Higher ApprenticeshipWhy choose us
The effects of climate change impact our lives every day – from the air we breathe, to the food we eat and the world we live in. At National Grid, we run and operate the UK’s energy system, delivering power to every corner of the country. This means we play a central role in helping to solve the challenges facing our climate. It’s why we’re acting today to help build a cleaner, greener Britain.
We’re investing in transformative engineering and cutting-edge technology to help the country hit its net zero carbon target by 2050. But to achieve this goal we need the right people. We need people with passion and potential to help us win the race to halt climate change. For us, it is the job that can’t wait.About the role
This is a great opportunity to gain a broad overview of Capital Delivery (Construction) and the wider business; to develop and expand your knowledge of Project Management on the job, whilst gaining a formal APM qualification. You’re the type of person who is constantly thinking about the bigger picture, but you never forget the small details. You will be working within the Project Controls team, getting involved in supporting projects spanning substation developments, overhead lines, tunnelling and cables, gas transmission and security upgrades to protect our critical national infrastructure. During the apprenticeship, you will build a network of contacts across the business to support the successful delivery of your projects. Join us to develop your project management skills so you can determine project objectives, cost engineering, establishing schedules and ultimately coordinating projects, beginning your career within Project Controls.Watch this video to find out more about Capital DeliveryWhat you'll do
As a higher apprentice in our Project Controls team you’ll gain experience in all aspects of estimating, risk and cost management, change, reporting, planning and programme management including:
- Participating in scheme teams, preparing budget estimates for future construction projects through their development from business case to contract award.
- Collaborating with Project Development and Investment Delivery to develop the best value solution to meet a given business need.
- Supporting Project Managers and their teams during project delivery.
- Maintaining the Cost Book we use to estimate the price of our work to reflect market trends by analysing tender submissions and outturn prices on completed projects.
- Helping to run risk workshops and scanning project risk registers to identify and flag broader risk trends that might impact our portfolio.
- Understanding how projects interact with each other and the operational constraints of a live system within National Grid’s outage plan.
- The opportunity to be involved in project planning and programme management of live projects.
Your personal development is important to us in Capital Delivery (Construction). Working closely with your line manager, you will establish a development plan tailored to fit your needs. You will develop a wide range of leadership, business and technical skills through structured training and on the job experience.
Our Project Management Higher Apprenticeship Programme is a great opportunity to gain a level 4 Diploma in Project Management which has been accredited by the APM (Association of Project Management) with the potential to lead to a degree. Or, if you already have a degree, it’s an ideal way to specialise in a vital, demanding and growing area. Thanks to the mix of formal study at college and practical experience at our offices in Warwick/Castle Donnington, you’ll develop well-rounded skills. Upon successful completion of the programme, you can look forward to a permanent job within the Project Controls team.What you'll get
You will receive a starting salary of £24,017 and you will work towards a level 4 qualification or a foundation degree depending on the programme. You will also have access to a number of additional benefits such as 25 days’ holiday, full board accommodation whilst away at our training academy and all travel expenses paid for when you’re not at your base location.Our values
National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. We are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities we serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.Role location
You must be willing to relocate your primary residence to within a 45-minute journey time to the location of the role.Role requirements
You must have, or be predicted to gain, a Grade C or above/4-9 GCSE in English Language andMaths.
In addition to the GCSE requirements, you must also have one of the following sets of qualifications:
- 2 A-Levels - 1 must be in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Computing (Grade C or above)
- BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in IT, Computing, IT Systems & Development, IT (Software Development), IT (Business), ICT Systems & Principles or Computing (Software Engineering Stream) (Merit or Distinction)
- BTEC Diploma Level 3 in IT, Computing, IT Systems & Development, IT (Software Development), IT (Business), ICT Systems & Principles or Computing (Software Engineering Stream) (Merit or Distinction)
- HNC/HND in IT, Computing, IT Systems & Development, IT (Software Development), IT (Business), ICT Systems & Principles or Computing (Software Engineering Stream) (Pass, Merit or Distinction)
- Degree in Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Computing
To apply for this role, you must hold a valid full UK car driving licence, or be willing to learn to drive and agree to secure a valid full UK car driving licence at least 3 months before the programmes start date.Closing date
The closing date for this vacancy is Sunday 16th February.however we encourage candidates to submit their application as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid's recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.Further information
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.