Undergraduate Gas Technical Engineer, System Operator (12-Month Industrial Placement)
Undergraduate Gas Technical Engineer, System Operator (12-Month Industrial Placement)Role requirements
This programme may consist of rotational placements and therefore you must be willing to relocate as and when the programme requires.
Qualifications: You must be in your penultimate year at university and be predicted to gain, a 2:2 degree classification or above in Physics, Maths or an Engineering discipline.About the role
Throughout your Industrial Placement within Gas Operations, part of the System Operator, you'll play a role at the heart of the UK's energy industry, making sure our high voltage electricity and high pressure gas network continue to safely meet the fast-growing needs of consumers.
You'll work with people across the energy industry and within National Grid to help solve a wide range of problems both technical and commercial . And you'll help and supports the business come up with innovative new ways improve our energy networks.What you'll do
You could be involved in:
- Be part of the team that comes up with innovative ways to respond to the ever-changing mix of energy on the network.
- Analyse our networks to make sure we can maintain supplies to our customers.
- Develop an understanding of how to operate new types of assets on our networks.
- Develop solutions for industry-wide network operability problems.
- Shadow and assist with specific network analysis tasks.
- Help us implement changes to our risk management techniques to make sure we carry on meeting our current obligations.
- Devise and evaluate potential decision-making tools which could be used in a real-time environment.
- Identify scenarios that could potentially lead to operational or commercial issues.
- Analyse supply and demand patterns to identify new ways to carry out forecasts.
- Analyse data and produce Key Performance Indicators for managers.
- Help teams analyse complex data and engineering issues.
Whatever your specific responsibilities, you'll get a great grounding in our business. The knowledge and understanding of our system gained within the System Operator has been the foundation for the careers of many of our company leadersWhat you'll get
You will receive a starting salary of £19,400 during your industrial placement as well as 25 days' holiday and close mentoring and feedback to ensure you get the most out of your placement. Best of all, if you have delivered excellent performance during your placement you may be offered an opportunity on our Graduate Development Programme at the start of your final year; leaving you free to concentrate on achieving that all important grade.Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. We welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds. National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. We are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities we serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.Role location
The closing date for this vacancy is Sunday 2nd February, however we encourage candidates to submit their application as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid's recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.Further information
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.