Higher Apprentice - Portfolio Planner
Higher Apprentice - Portfolio Planner
You will need to have a GCSE in English Language* at Grade C or above (or equivalent) with one of the following:
- 2 A Levels A* - C (1 must be in either Maths OR Physics)
- BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or Engineering Grade Merit or Distinction (Essential the Maths modules should be at Merit or Distinction)
- BTEC National Diploma Level 3 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or Engineering Grade Merit or Distinction (Essential the Maths modules should be at Merit or Distinction)
- ONC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Grade Merit or Distinction (Essential the Maths modules should be at Merit or Distinction)
- HNC/HND in Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering Grade Pass, Merit or Distinction
- Degree in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering discipline
* Please note - It is important that you include your English GCSE on your application and specify whether this is English Language. Failure to do this may result in us not being able to progress your application.
National Grid is part of the UK’s National Infrastructure. Electricity is the lifeblood of our society – without it, the things we take for granted like turning on the lights and heating our homes would be impossible. It’s a responsibility the Electricity Transmission Owner (ETO) takes on with pride, as we Bring Energy to Life.
The ETO is the Transmission Directorate that owns and operates the high-voltage electricity transmission system across England and Wales; it is made up of overhead lines, underground cables and substations. These all serve to safely and securely connect sources of electricity generation to the electricity transmission network
About the role
The Portfolio Planner is a dynamic and varied role which involves a mixture of training and office based experience where you will be able to put into practice the new skills you will develop and acquire throughout the programme. You will have the opportunity to take ownership and make intelligent decisions to support National Grid’s outputs.
At the start of the programme you will learn how Network Management (your area of the business) operates and you will receive a detailed insight into the processes, procedures, systems and working practices which ensures delivery of National Grid’s outputs. You will also be assigned to a Portfolio Planning zone giving you the opportunity to develop the necessary skills required to become a Portfolio Planner.
Key tasks and areas of work
You will be responsible for the successful planning and delivery of a portfolio of work whilst also building relationships with a range of stakeholders who are based in the office and out on site.Whilst on programme:
Once qualified you will be able to:
- You will be involved in on-site jobs throughout the UK’s transmission network. This can involve working on circuit breakers, transformers, earth switches etc.
- You will be working with a team to look after the transmission system for a section of England and Wales. You will communicate with onsite engineers to discuss problems they may be facing and the impact this could have on your planned work.
- Plan and manage the work allocation for resources that are planned on a national level ensuring the plans are fully optimised
- Be accountable for both resource and outage planning ownership – authority of work to be included or removed from the plan
- Monitor progress against business outcome targets, owning and ensuring all decisions satisfy outcomes.
- Evaluate costs, risks and performance.
- You will have the opportunity to represent Network Management at all levels within the organisation – leading and driving decisions.
- This is a particularly varied role where no two days are the same.
- It is an exciting fast paced environment to work within, where you and your team’s decisions have a real impact on the business.
- You will have the opportunity to study for a Foundation Degree in Electrical Power Engineering (Power Systems Management).
- Training will be a large focus. You will be enrolled on a number of valuable courses to further your personal skills and confidence ready for when you finish the programme.