Commercial Officer - Opportunities - Castle Donington & Warwick
Commercial Officer – Opportunities – Castle Donington & Warwick
Salary: £39k - £46k base, flexible benefits, great pension scheme.
Location: Osprey House – Castle Donnington or National Grid Head Office - Warwick
Within National Grid, Capital Delivery is the business unit responsible for taking major projects through the design, construction, commissioning and handover phases of the asset life cycle. All our projects have a direct impact on the UK’s Gas and Electricity transmission networks which deliver energy to homes and businesses 365 days a year; that means we can directly see the benefit our projects are having on the communities we serve.
The Commercial team within Capital Delivery are responsible for the tendering and contracting some £800m of contracts per annum, these include:
- Our Gas and Electricity projects vary significantly in size, complexity, type of infrastructure and needs case. That makes this role so dynamic, interesting and challenging, and most importantly rewarding. The types of projects you could be responsible for delivering include:
- New build projects, such as a new Electricity overhead line or underground cable to reinforce or expand the transmission network to be able to connect a new generator or industrial consumer;
- Upgrade projects, to improve or change the functionality of an existing Gas or Electricity site by adding new or supplementary equipment, such as replacing existing gas-turbine driven compressors at one of our Gas compressor stations, or installing an additional supergrid transformer at one of our Electricity substations;
- Asset replacement projects, to make like-for-like replacements of Gas and Electricity equipment where the existing assets on the network have reached the end of their operational life.
National Grid encourages an inclusive and diverse workplace and regardless of your background and if you think you have something to offer us, we’d love to hear from you.
About the role of Commercial Officer
- It will be your responsibility to develop and implement Contracting and Buying Strategies for our construction projects. You will lead and co-ordinate tender events.
- You will help us save money against our allowances by utilising the NEC suite of contracts to their maximum effect, ensuring that we strike the correct balance between performance, price and risk.
- Working with the project teams, you will ensure that business requirements are fully captured in the tender documents.
- Your experience will enable you to provide a robust challenge to tender returns, challenging costs to provide assurance that the price is right. In addition, you will the assess contractor’s capability to deliver the work safely, in compliance with our requirements and on time.
About you and your skills
- Ideally you will have Commercial experience of engineering projects carried out under the NEC3/ FIDIC form of contract and experience in a construction environment;
- Knowledge of Electricity Transmission would be beneficial, but not essential;
- You will have effective communication skills, negotiation skills and the ability to make persuasive presentations to small and large audiences;
- You will be able to demonstrate initiative, sound judgment and problem solving abilities;
- Good commercial acumen, including procurement and supply chain experience / knowledge.
- We’ll expect you to have the proven ability to deliver to time and deliver against challenging but achievable objectives;
- You’ll naturally identify best practice and share the learning with the wider team
Focused personal development is a part of life here; we’ll work with you to produce a development plan that will enable you to be the best you can be. We look for talent and innovation, we expect high performance and we believe in creating opportunities for enthusiastic people who share our ambition, values and mind set. From sites and offices to our huge range of after-work clubs and social events, the National Grid culture reflects a commitment to inclusion and diversity. Our people are actively encouraged to treat everyone with respect and value every contribution.
You will have a laptop and mobile phone with the position, 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days, an amazing double and match pension scheme, access to our Flexible Benefits Programme, as well as the opportunity to buy discounted shares and achieve a yearly bonus and performance related uplifts.
After your application has been reviewed by our recruitment team, you will find out the next steps by email. If it’s a no, we’re sorry about that, but keep checking our careers site for our other opportunities. If it’s a yes, expect a call from our team to book you in for a short telephone interview and if successful from that we will invite you in to our Castle Donnington, Derby office for a face to face interview and additional task.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.